An Interesting Effect of Labor Shortages

Eureka College is currently experiencing the effects of labor shortages in unique ways as the semester winds down. Campus community members have all noticed a change of the overall cleanliness of campus buildings ranging from an ill-placed piece of gum to the occasional overflowing trash bin. Determined to learn about this change and clear up any rumors regarding the janitorial conditions of the college, The Pegasus investigated such claims.

First and foremost, it must be noted that Eureka College is not alone in struggling with misplaced gum. Records indicate that approximately 374 billion pieces of chewing gum are sold worldwide each year. Based on these numbers, assuming that each piece is chewed for approximately 30 minutes, there will be over 187 billion hours of time dedicated to chewing gum. Of these 374 billion pieces chewed research suggests that a shocking 80%-90% of it is improperly disposed of. Pre chewed chewing gum can be found everywhere around the campus. Most commonly, used gum is placed under chairs or desks to hide the improper usage. However, this year the gum is popping up in even stranger places. While oftentimes the gum is at least attempted to be hidden under objects, multiple pieces have been found directly on the ground. Just earlier this semester Wes Adkins almost lost to a piece that was strategically placed on the floor of the Burgoo around the couches and televisions. While he was lucky enough to notice the invader before accidentally stepping in it, others are not so lucky.

Inside spaces have been common targets from individuals who misuse gum on campus and the effects have been felt by more than just Adkins. At the start of the 2023 spring semester, Dr. Duncan stepped on a grossly large piece of gum in Sanders.  “I have stepped on gum twice this semester on campus. One time inside the room. I was mad,” said Duncan. In fact, gum has been found in multiple areas throughout the academic buildings. “Just last week on Wednesday I stepped in gum in Burgess and Sanders. It took me over thirty minutes to completely remove it.,” said one Eureka College junior.

At the start of the semester rumors of the college getting rid of the janitorial staff filled the air. Craig Maynard, the vice president of finance and facilities, commented on the issue. “The vendor has been dealing with staff turnover and has been short staffed most of this semester. It’s a common problem in the industry and has definitely impacted us on campus. The vendor is working through the hiring process and has assured us that they will be better staffed in the coming weeks,” said Maynard. As the 2023 spring semester comes to a close it is reassuring to know that come fall of 2023 there will likely be custodial staff back on the Eureka campus. In turn this should solve the major issues surrounding the gum epidemic and overflowing trash bins. It is always comforting to know that Eureka College is willing to communicate and solve these issues when brought up.

While the increase of janitorial staff will help manage such situations it is also important to say that all of campus has an obligation to work to keep our community clean. Instead of spitting out gum on the floor and potentially running someone’s day, take it to the nearest trash can to dispose of it. Help pick up trash if it has fallen on the ground or someone intentionally left it there. “We are all adults, put your gum in the trash. Respect your peers and campus enough to clean up after yourself,” said the previously quoted Eureka College junior. Cleaning up after yourself and taking pride in our campus can help mitigate a few of the effects created by the labor shortage of janitorial staff. Instead of making their jobs harder, everyone should clean up what they can.