Eureka College's Student Magazine Since 1889

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

Eureka College Ranks #41 in Midwest Regional Colleges

Cem Dolcan

Eureka College has earned the rank of number 41 in the Midwest for regional colleges in the 2022 U.S. News and World Report rankings. The college prides itself on providing students with high-quality education, a close-knit community, and a strong athletic work ethic. Earning the rank of 41 in the Midwest serves as a testament to the college’s commitment to its students and faculty. 

Being ranked as a regional college is an accomplishment that Eureka College holds in high regard. A regional college focuses primarily on undergraduate education and is typically not as big as other colleges, but they still offer an array of degree programs and extensive student life. The U.S. News and World Report rankings are a well-respected and widely followed benchmark for colleges across the county. To be ranked 41 out of 78 regional colleges in the Midwest is an accomplishment Eureka College should be proud of. 

But does the College’s rank have the same reactions to everyone on campus? Eureka College wrestling coach, Eric Biehl shared his thoughts on how the college’s rank affected the recruitment of student-athletes for his athletic program.

“Many athletes look at our team’s success and how well they would fit into our program. So, the school rank hasn’t played a huge role in my recruitment. We have a nice wrestling facility, and they see how well our team gels and they want to be a part of it. I do think we rank high in the value of tuition. So, we are cheaper than many schools around us, and that helps us recruit.” Biehl said.

When asked if the college’s rank affected Coach Biehl’s coaching strategies and approach to competition he had much to say.

“Finding what we are best at and selling that to recruits is key. We have a great place to practice, so that helps my practice and coaching strategies out. We are still breaking into the scene of being known. We are in the toughest region for our sport so our rank doesn’t affect us either way. One thing I always point out is how cheap we are compared to the other D3 and even non-D3 schools around us. We can compete with anyone. We just have to keep pressing forward so people know EC has wrestling,” Biehl said. 

Students on campus also recognize the college’s rank as an achievement to be proud of. Students know that Eureka College has a smaller campus and maybe not as many resources as bigger and better-funded schools have. Beyond academics, Eureka College offers numerous opportunities for students to get involved and develop their leadership skills. There are countless clubs, organizations, and extracurricular activities to choose from, all of which are supported by a dedicated team of staff members who are invested in students’ success.

Alex Muhammad, a sophomore at Eureka College, shared his thoughts on why he thought the college’s ranking was fitting.

“The ranking does not align with my personal experience. In my opinion, Eureka College is the number one school in the Midwest for regional colleges. My experience here has shown me the time and work put in by my classmates and me is incredible. It has shown that we can conquer any quest along the journey of life with the right mindset and the right people in our lives. I would recommend this college to students not particularly based on the ranking but using that ranking to show our worth,” Alex Muhammad said. 

Without a doubt, being ranked number 41 out of 78 is an accomplishment due to the size of Eureka College. Eureka College has proven itself to be a high-performing institution deserving of its rank. From the extensive academic programs to the commitment to bettering athletes, this college provides its students with the tools they need to succeed in their lives after college. There is no doubt that Eureka College will continue to thrive and make a positive impact on the lives of its students for years to come.