Eureka College's Student Magazine Since 1889

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

Staying on Campus Over Thanksgiving Break

Wes Adkins

For most students, Thanksgiving break provides a much-needed respite for students and staff before wrapping up the semester. Being able to go home, visit family, and, of course, eat some delicious food is a great way for students to relax before taking finals. 

Visiting family is so important during this time because, for some students, this is the first time they have been able to see them since starting school. Many students at Eureka live too far away to be able to visit home on the weekends. Thanksgiving break is the perfect chance for students to see their families. 

Unfortunately, not all students can go home and visit their loved ones over break. Some students are unable to afford to go home over the holidays. This is especially true for international students. 

International student Daniel Jueliger from London says that for Thanksgiving this year, he plans to stay in the States and spend the holiday with friends. When asked why he was not going home for the holiday, Daniel explained that it was not worth the money to go back for a week and that it was also not enough time to make it worthwhile. 

While Daniel can spend the holiday with friends, that is only the case for some. Many students have to stay on campus with little to no interaction with other people. 

Eureka allows students to stay on campus for breaks such as this, but the students are not offered any of the amenities that are usually offered. Students must provide their own meals, as the Burgoo and the Commons are closed over break. Students must also fill out a request form stating that they plan to stay on campus. 

Eureka sent out the request form for students who plan to stay on campus on November 6; the deadline to turn it in was November 16. The form lets students know that, during this time over break, they will be responsible for themselves and can still contact their RAs if a problem arises. 

It is imperative to recognize that students staying on campus are responsible for their own meals. This may not be such a problem, but since most students staying on campus now are international students, they do not have their own vehicles. With a lack of transportation, driving to the store or a restaurant poses an issue. 

The school sees it as if the students decided to stay, and it is their responsibility to take care of themselves. However, many international students do not have the option to go home. 

Many international students who come to college in the United States have never experienced Thanksgiving. This was the case for Khalil Alleyne, who is from Diego Martin, Trinidad.

“I had a Thanksgiving meal at the school, but I did not truly experience the holiday until I went to my friend’s Thanksgiving. While there, we ate traditional Thanksgiving food, conversed well, and then played board games,” Khalil said.

Khalil plans on spending this Thanksgiving with the same friend, as it is now their tradition to spend the holiday season together. 

Many colleges need to consider the cultural needs of their international students when celebrating holidays and going on breaks. Students who are close to home should also consider inviting international students to their Thanksgiving celebrations. Students like Khalil are a good example of how hard holiday breaks can be on students, especially international students.