Eureka College's Student Magazine Since 1889

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

“Brown Baer” Duo Brings Excitement to Men’s Basketball

Gaige Owens

It has been an exciting season for Eureka College basketball. The Peewee Brown and Cody Baer duo have been on a roll this season and have even topped the Division III charts by being named the top duo. Both of them put up substantial numbers for their team, and together they scored about 55 percent of all the points for the Red Devils. Brown and Baer even combined for 66 points in their game against Greenville, but unfortunately for the Red Devils, their efforts were not enough to come away with the win.  

Peewee Brown, the 6’2” guard from Peoria, Illinois, has shown since he first arrived at Eureka that he has a knack for getting the ball into the hoop. In his initial season (2022-2023) he averaged 16.6 points per game shooting at a 41.6 percent clip. This season he is doing even better averaging 19.4 points per game and shooting at a 41.5 percent clip explains his improvements this year are do to hard work off-season. 

“I worked over the summer. I didn’t let my mind get too far from basketball because I want to be good and I want to win. Simple as that,” Brown said. 

Cody Baer, the 6’10” forward from Dunlap, Illinois, is a former Division I commit and has done wonders for the Red Devils since his arrival. This will be Baer’s second season at Eureka College averaging a double double every game, with last year’s numbers being 17.2 points per game with 11.6 rebounds and this year’s being 20.9 points per game with 10.4 rebounds. Baer is proud to have a teammate like Brown.

“Having a teammate like Peewee makes the game easier for everyone. He is extremely quick and knows how to get to his shots with ease, as he is very shifty. He is also a great defender, so he is exactly what I look for in a teammate,” Baer said.  

Brown and Baer, being recognized as the top duo in the whole division has many wondering what that means to them and if they are aware of how good they are doing. A label like that does not come around often.

“It feels good ya know. Me and Cody have been putting in the work and we deserve it,” Brown said.

Baer also had high praise for Brown.

“We both can score at will but when we work together, we are an unstoppable duo. A pick and roll with me and Peewee is virtually un-guardable,” Baer said. 

Lastly, fans of Eureka basketball have seen the “Brown Baer” duo put up ecstatic numbers on the board and still not be able to break away with the win. Brown and Baer combined for 66 points in their game against Greenville and yet that still was not enough. Many wonder how the team feels and how they plan to handle the adversity. 

“No doubt it is frustrating putting up numbers and still losing, but we’ve won our last two games against good opponents, have a lot of momentum going forward, and are looking for the right turn-around,” Baer said. 

As the end of the season inches closer to arrival, fans and students are anxious to see what the “Brown Baer” duo will showcase. Their skills and flare have made Eureka College basketball one of the more attended and watched sports on campus. Any school would be excited to have athletes such as Brown and Baer, but Eureka College has put together a strong fan base to show the level of appreciation for these exceptional players.