Eureka College's Student Magazine Since 1889

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

The Eureka College Pegasus

Red Devils Hire NFL Veteran as Head Coach

Jean-Daniel Francoeur

With the resignation of former coach Kurt Barth, the Red Devils have acquired a new Head Coach in Randy Starks.

The two-time pro bowler would have a lengthy career in the NFL, as he would go on to play 12 seasons. Within those 12 seasons he would record 413 total tackles, 292 solo tackles and 121 assisted. He would also have 42 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 10 recoveries, and 4 interceptions. During his time in the NFL, Coach Starks played for the Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, and Tennessee Titans.

With the addition of Starks to the coaching staff, the Red Devils are ready to “hit the ground running,” as he wants to establish a winning culture.

“[I want to] find as many guys as possible who can make an impact on and off the field,” Starks said.

He also explains that as he builds a winning culture here, he wants it to be a home for the athletes. He emphasized the importance of the team feeling like a family. During the season, missing time with family and loved ones can be difficult to deal with at times.

He also gave advice for athletes who are trying to make it to the next level.

“At some point when you get to a certain level, the talent level eventually evens out and the only way to separate yourself is hard work,” Coach Starks said. “Sacrifice and dedication plays a big part at the next level.”

Coach Starks also spoke on his NFL experiences, from flashy cars to hundred-degree weather workouts. Although there were plenty of memories he had to share, he emphasized the joy of meeting new guys from different places and the bonds they built together along the way. Those were some of the things that money could not buy, and he never took for granted.

“[I am] excited for next season,” Jewgrante Abram, running back. “I trust where Coach Starks is going with the program.”

New faces will be showing up on campus to represent the football team. The future of Eureka football is very bright, and Randy Starks is leading the journey.