Heartline and Heart House: Making a Local Difference

Since 1982, Heartline has been serving the Woodford County community right here in Eureka, IL. Located mere feet from Eureka College, this nonprofit has ample volunteer opportunities for students looking to engage with the greater community. Heartline and Heart House have the capacity to provide: emergency shelter for women and children displaced from crises, area-wide resource referral programs, and monetary assistance for various life related needs. Executive Director Brandi Gerber explains that the mission of this organization is to help Woodford County and residents of the city of Washington respond to crises. 

However, the organization does not simply hand out checks; they directly pay the provider of the service that the client is looking for assistance with, i.e. the landlord. Last year alone, according to Gerber they provided nearly 1000 services. The services provided by Heartline and Heart House focus on helping the clients develop plans to prepare to avoid similar situations in the future. Gerber, her staff, and their team of volunteers work to create action plans such as classes, debt-paying plans, and other supportive services to not only care for the clients under their care but also to provide a better future. As Gerber says “We love seeing our clients but in the future, we hope to see them again just not as clients.” 

Along with the financial and resource referral services, Heart House serves as a shelter for women and children who need a temporary place to stay after escaping a crisis such as domestic violence or those who are experiencing homelessness. Last year twenty-two individuals utilized the shelter. Gerber noted that their length of stay is individualized, “Our longest stay was two years and our shortest stay was two hours, it all depends on the individual.”

This amazing work that is taking place two minutes from campus cannot be done without the service of countless volunteers. As a non-profit organization established by volunteers and currently governed by a volunteer board of directors, the organization values and relies on service to best meet the needs of former, present, and future clients. When asked about volunteering at the organization she enthusiastically responded with “ I wish people knew how fun it is to volunteer here!” 

There is an urgent need for evening volunteers to answer the phone, interact with residents, and perform other necessary tasks. These shifts cover 3.5 hours Monday through Friday in the evening. This volunteer opportunity would be perfect for students who are looking to get involved because it is accommodating to schedules and provides plenty of time to work on homework during the shifts. Students can even bring along a friend to sit with them. Most volunteers serve once or twice a month. Interested students should fill out the application that is provided on their website. For those who cannot commit time to the organization, there is also a donation needed for cleaning, hygiene, and paper products. All donations can be dropped off at the door closest to the mailbox. 

Furthermore, there are also additional professional development opportunities open at Heartline and Heart House through internships. Gerber explained that she is especially interested in offering internship positions in marketing and communication as well as social and human services. Those searching for more information about internship opportunities should reach out to Executive Director Brandi Gerber directly at brandi@heartlineandhearthouse.org

Lastly, for those who are unsure about volunteering or going into nonprofit work, Gerber said it best when she stated, “You won’t regret it, because you are helping people. Although it can be exhausting at times, it is all worth it in the end.” All updates about Heartline and Heart House can be found on their website and Facebook page. Although there are no current job postings, future listings can be found on Indeed and their website.