Spring Semi-Pro Sports Around Eureka

Spring is right around the corner in Eureka, Illinois, and with that comes spring sports at both the college and the professional level. In the Peoria and Bloomington area, there are a variety of minor and semi-pro sports leagues that are enjoyable and affordable for students. 

The Peoria Chiefs are a minor league baseball team that is the High-A Affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Their season begins in mid-April and continues to mid-Semptember. There are a variety of ticket prices ranging from fifteen dollars up to five-hundred dollars for box seats. The Chiefs are one of the larger minor league sports teams in the greater-Eureka area. This causes a slight upcharge in better tickets but they are still affordable for college students on a budget. Last year the Chiefs ended the season with a record of 29-37 with very few blowout games. 

Another big team in Peoria is the Peoria Rivermen. Although their season is about over they have thirteen games left in the season which ends on April 8th. The Rivermen are a big deal; many people know about them, but very few go to their games. The affordable prices of tickets make it that much easier for students to attend. Tickets range from $14 in the upper bowl section to $25 in the glass. There is just enough time for students to go before the end of the season. 

In Bloomington-Normal, there is a minor-league baseball team called the Cornbelters. The season begins in mid-May. Although they have not dropped single-game ticket prices yet, they do have 3-game passes available for fifty dollars a piece. They include either a jersey/bobblehead/ depending on which game you are attending. Due to the Cornbelters being a smaller organization and not affiliated with any major league teams, this allows students to have an affordable and fun experience. Their season only overlaps with the Eureka 22′-23 school year for about 2 weeks but continues until late October so if students can’t make it in the spring they will also have opportunities to go in the fall! 

All facilities for the teams mentioned above are less than 30 minutes away from Eureka College. This makes a quick drive for students to go and enjoy the weather of spring and see games they may have never seen before. All-in-all any one of the teams would be fun for students to go and enjoy.