Multi-Sport Student Athletes: Important Considerations

Pinterest

Sports are something that people participate in for themselves because they enjoy it, and to represent their community. Sports offer a wide range of options, such as the chance to receive a college scholarship or, subsequently, to pursue a career in professional sports. Therefore, every athlete is unique, and there are genuine risks and benefits to early specialization. It’s the same with participating in too many sports. While some athletes benefit from participating in several sports throughout the year, others require a rest in between seasons. Students that participate in athletics develop helpful values such as leadership abilities, self-control, and character.

How can you strike a balance between two sports?  Student athletes on campus manage to play two sports and deal with injuries. In high school at least most play two sports, which were fun at times, but playing multiple sports at a college level requires a different skillset. Dominic Tenayuca, a senior at Eureka College, plays baseball and competes on the wrestling team.  “When I’m in wrestling, Coach Rashid understands that’s my priority at the time, and it allows me to focus better. Same thing for when I’m in baseball, Coach Biehl understands where my priorities lie and from there it’s just communication really,” said Tenayuca. Understanding the importance of communication and time management helps student athletes to succeed throughout multiple competition seasons. “Time management has been a skill that has been beneficial. My coaches are the best and are very supportive of whatever I need during my seasons,” said Freshman Frannie Heckman, who plays basketball and volleyball.

However, these skills can’t prevent the risks of physical competition, another one of the many factors that multiple sport athletes must think about. “I know the risks every time I step out on the mat or baseball field, but I don’t care. I enjoy both sports too much to let an injury hold me back,” said Tenayuca. These wise words from a multiple sport athlete are inspiring. It’s a great reminder for everyone to not let what if situations rob the enjoyment.

These are merely a few considerations when choosing an athletic path. Everything relies on an athlete’s goals. Do they prefer to divide their time between different sports or devote all their efforts to just one?