Eureka Introduces College’s First Jazz Ensemble

For the first time in Eureka College history, the Fall 2022 semester featured a Jazz Ensemble course for students. This course was offered with no prerequisites and gives students a chance to play jazz classics. With six musicians, the group performed for the first time in concert near the end of last semester. The group is also set to perform again this semester, all under the direction of their director, Michael Hull.

Though a classical guitar soloist and chamber musician, Hull is no stranger to Jazz. He’s directed ensembles at both ICC and Millikin University. While first hired at Eureka to give one-on-one guitar lessons, the music department faculty quickly learned of his versatility and experience as a musician. It was this, along with a budding interest among music students considering classical improvisation, that created Eureka’s first Jazz Ensemble. When asked to reflect on the creation and implementation of Eureka’s Jazz ensemble, Hull gave kudos to his fellow music faculty. “New programs do not happen by accident. The faculty are excellent mentors and are known for speaking outside the box.” He also notes the versatility of Eureka’s music students that made the course possible, saying such versatility is “encouraged by the faculty through innovative use of instrument combinations, improvisations, and arrangements.” It is safe to say that jazz students agree.

Jazz band member and brass player Peyton Boyle revealed a unique aspect of Jazz performance. “I’m excited to get back with the group, work on improvisation skills, and feed off of everyone’s energy that they provide to the group”, Peyton says. He also spoke about his love for jazz improvisation. “You can play anything that you feel. I just like the creative aspect of it. Nothing is wrong. Sometimes the right note is only a half step away”, an adage wholly considered among the jazz community. Bassist Rob Fowlkes also spoke on the new ensemble. “It gives me a free excuse to jam every week”, Rob says. “I’m excited for it to become more popular.”

The group’s next performance will be this April at the ensemble concert “Pops”, including all four of Eureka’s musical ensembles.