Eureka Softball: Comeback Year?

The Eureka College Softball team is back for the 2023 season after a tough season last year. The team ended their season with a final record of 8-16 overall with a conference record of 4-7. Freshman at Eureka College and outfielder for the Red Devils, Farah Michaels shared some of her excitement for the year. She told us that she is most excited to be playing teams from other states, more specifically Fontbonne and her best memory so far is winning the team 3 games earlier this year during their fall season. All the girls had one common answer when asked what they are most looking forward to and that was their trip to Texas on spring break.

The team’s schedule for the year was released in early January and includes games with teams like St. Thomas and Southwestern on their spring break trip to Texas, as well as teams known conference matchups like Westminster and Blackburn.  Claire Wuethrich, a freshman pitcher, agreed to talk about her hopes for the 2023 season as well.  She is most excited to play Monmouth because her old travel coach is currently on staff for their team. 

Lastly, was a junior who plays middle infield, Tressa Grisham. Tressa has been playing for 15 years now and she is most excited about the competitiveness that is being brought back to the team. She says, “Coming from a season of 11 girls on the roster to 28 girls this year, along with expanding our coaching staff, I believe that we can accomplish great things and push ourselves to be the best.” She is most looking forward to playing Spalding because they lost both series to them last year, but she thinks with this new level of competition the whole team has in themselves they will be able to “… hold their own against one of the best in the conference”.

With a total of 9 home games this season, EC students need to bring a big crowd to get the girls excited and ready to show off this revived competitive side they have!! Linked here are the dates of the home games. Along with the new season, it is also the 50th Anniversary of Title XI, making this season a special one for women’s sports across the nation. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits sex discrimination in any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. Eureka college’s student sections have not disappointed this year and all campus at Eureka is hoping to keep that energy up into the coming spring sports!